The Ineligibles

Four albums released in 2003, but bought and loved by me in 2004, would have been high up in either this year or last year’s lists.  As such, I owe them a mention.  The most important of these is A Perfect Circle’s Thirteenth Step which would beat my 2003 winner (Mars Volta) and would only lose out to Amplifier this year.  It is a staggering number of leaps on from the first album (and meant I bought the shoddy covers album this year, darn it!).  An utter classic.  Oceansize’s epic Effloresce album is superb too.  The eponymous Firetheft album (featuring a Foo and a former FooFiretheft is essentially the new name for Sunny Day Real Estate) is also great.  Firetheft are mellow, intelligent rock – an album that is grand without ever overstretching itself.  Finally, The Dandy Warhols shocked me with how damn good Welcome to the Monkey House is: ‘I am a Scientist’ is a three minute masterwork.


As for 2004 releases, The Red Hot Chili Peppers gave us a great live album, though I doubt it would have made my list anyway.  Oceansize produced an admirable follow up to the above mentioned Effloresce album (curiously titled Music for Nurses), but this was only in ineligible EP form.  Shame, because it would have featured in the list, although Effloresce is better.  Sigur Rós produced an ep follow up to the excellent, but stupidly named ( ), with the utterly pants and even more stupidly named Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do.  The only list this might make is the ‘most dull eps ever made’ list.  Avoid at all costs.  QOTSA released a stonking limited edition EP(Stone Age Complications) which acts, I guess, as a farewell to Nick Oliveri.  Bittersweet, then, because they won’t sound this good again, I fear.  Perhaps they had their day.  Perhaps he still has it in him.  We can live in hope. [Note, 2014: he does indeed; how great was 2013’s …Like Clockwork - #2 that year - ?].