3. AUF DER MAUR - Auf der Maur

The big hitters now.  Top three time.  And we start with another album for which the credit must go to my Father (#6).  I never liked Hole that much (although live through this is a great album), and the Smashing Pumpkins were only ever ok.  But Melissa has left all that behind and grown into something special.  This album is full, start to finish, of classic songs.  I love them all.  Now, to be fair, her supporting cast is immense: members of QOTSA, Perfect Circle, Marilyn Manson, Kyuss, Screaming Trees etc.  She was not so hot live.  She needs a much better backing band.  But still, this list is about albums, and this one is superb.  It has stayed in the top echelons of my list all year (this was the first 2004 album I bought).  And she’s got that whole sexy thing going on (though not as much as the Zutons’ trumpet lady).