4. INCUBUS - A Crow Left of the Murder

You have to go back to #10 in this list to find a band which I already owned an album by, but with Incubus we’re back into familiar territory.  I bought this with some trepidation.  The most anticipated album for me of the last few years was Morning View, and after a couple of weeks of adoring it (cause I expected it to be great), I realised that it was actually rubbish.  What if Incubus are rubbish now – for good?  The end of an era.  Thankfully, this is a storming return.  Incubus have gone off in a new direction (it was time), and have produced something great again.  Tracks like ‘Agoraphobia’, ‘Beware! Criminal’ and ‘Here in My Room’ are all classics, and even the over-rated ‘Megalomaniac’ kicks butt.  Brandon has re-discovered his soul, and Mike his guitar pedals (thank god).  Perhaps the biggest improvement here is Ben’s introduction on bass.  He was in The Roots (undisputed hip-hop masters) for years and it shows on this album.   There is rhythm, not funk, at work here, and Incubus are better for it.  A reprieve for a band I would once have said were my favourite.  Well done guys.